Tuesday, September 7, 2010

God has it...always

Why do we say, "Well, it's up to God now." or "I'm giving this to you, God." ? Our lives are not ours to control. Saying phrases like that makes it seem like we were in control, up until we give it to God. Instead of saying something like that, you should try to say something like, "I'm giving up the idea of me controlling the situation, God." It makes more sense and it is a lot more accurate.

That being said, that does NOT mean you should sit back and expect a free ride, so to speak. Yes we should pray. And yes, God's Will will win out. But that doesn't mean that God doesn't want us to work towards what we are praying for. Two stories come to mind. You may have heard the first one and the second one is from the movie Facing the Giants (written, produced, and filmed by the same group that did Fireproof).

The first one is of a man who was in an area that had had a lot of flooding. He was up on his roof, praying that God would rescue him. A rescue party in a boat came by, but the man waved them off saying, "God will rescue me." A rescue party in a helicopter came by, but the man said the same thing. Eventually, the water rose and the man was drowned. When he got to heaven, he asked God, "Why didn't you save me? I was praying for it." God replied, "I sent you a boat and a helicopter, but you didn't take either one."

The second story, as I said, is from the movie Facing the Giants. There is a man who walks the halls of the school, praying for the students. He does this each night. One night as the football coach (the main character) was sitting in his office, upset over the way his life was going downhill, this man came in and told the football coach this story: "There were two farmers praying for rain. But only one went out and got his field ready as if it was going to rain. Which do you think was ready when God provided the rain?"

That second story has been my motto since DH made the comment "You are preparing your field for rain." I have worried with trying to get pregnant and starting the medication I needed last time if I was trying to control when I got pregnant. And recently with actively trying (not to get to much TMI, but checking for ovulation patterns, etc.) it has brought up the same concern. But I know that no matter how much I check the ovulation patterns or how much medication I take, if I am to get pregnant, it will happen when God Wills it to happen. NOT when I choose for it to happen. Too many people have recently begun to think that they are in control of what happens, but they are not. None of us are. Which brings me right back around to my first point...we need to give up our idea of us controlling what is going on and let God get on with the grand plan.

And pray. Prayer NEVER hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment